The family of the late Paul Masunda and Beauty Shoperai is set to return to Zimbabwe to bury their loved ones following assistance from South Africa’s Department of Health, which helped facilitate the repatriation process after the tragic N1 highway accident near Bela-Bela in Limpopo earlier this month.

The tragedy, which claimed the lives of Paul Masunda (44), his wife Beauty Shoperai (37) and their two-year-old son Paul Junior, left both Zimbabwean and South African communities in mourning.

Funeral services provider, Zororo-Phumulani confirmed it would handle the repatriation and funeral arrangements for the family ahead of the burial scheduled for Saturday in Zaka, Zimbabwe.

A memorial service is expected to be held on Thursday at the community hall in Bela-Bela before traveling to Zimbabwe.

According to those close to the proceedings, the sole survivor is the couple’s 14-year-old son, who reportedly witnessed both fatal accidents that first claimed his father and moments later his mother and younger sibling.

The incident occurred on May 9, 2026 when Masunda was fatally struck by a light motor vehicle while attempting to cross the N1 highway near an informal bus stop commonly used by travellers heading north.

Shortly after she was informed of her husband’s death, Shoperai reportedly disembarked from a nearby bus carrying her two-year-old son strapped to her back and attempted to cross the highway to reach the scene.

They were then struck by a police state vehicle that was reportedly accompanying the South African Health Minister, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi.

In a statement, Zororo-Phumulani chief executive officer Oliver Mufudze said the company had moved swiftly to support the bereaved family during the difficult period.

“Our hearts are with the Masunda-Shoperai family during this profoundly painful time,” said Mufudze.

“At Zororo-Phumulani, we believe no family should face the burden of loss alone, especially when it involves the difficult process of bringing loved ones home. We are honoured to support the family in providing a dignified repatriation and farewell for Beauty, Paul and young Paul Junior.”

Mufudze also expressed gratitude to South Africa’s Department of Health for assisting the family.

“We wish to thank the Department of Health for the compassion and cooperation shown to the family. Their support in facilitating the repatriation process has helped bring dignity and comfort to the family during an unimaginable time of loss,” he said.

The Department of Health’s intervention helped ease logistical challenges facing the bereaved family as they prepared to transport the bodies back to Zimbabwe for burial.

Speaking on behalf of the family, Rabson Masunda also acknowledged the support received from both the Department of Health and Zororo-Phumulani.

“The family sincerely thanks the Department of Health and Zororo-Phumulani for the compassion and humanity shown following this tragedy. Their assistance with the repatriation process has eased the burden on the family and will help our loved ones receive a dignified farewell in Zimbabwe,” he said.

The deaths sparked widespread public sympathy in both countries, with many expressing concern over the dangers posed by pedestrians crossing major highways at informal stopping points often used by long-distance travellers.
Minister Motsoaledi has since conveyed condolences to the bereaved family following the incident involving the escort vehicle linked to his convoy.

Support CITE’s fearless, independent journalism. Your donation helps us amplify community voices, fight misinformation, and hold power to account. Help keep the truth alive. Donate today

Lulu Brenda Harris is a seasoned senior news reporter at CITE. Harris writes on politics, migration, health, education, environment, conservation and sustainable development. Her work has helped keep the...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *