Mtshabezi school hostel gutted by fire

By Vumani Mthiyane

Mtshabezi primary school in Gwanda North district was on Friday gutted by fire which destroyed property worth thousands of dollars.

According to a report by Gwanda District Development Coordinator (DDC), Thulani Moyo the fire affected a hostel that houses learners with disabilities.

“The incident occurred on 6 May 2021 at around 01.00hrs at a school hostel that houses 11 pupils, 7 girls and four boys plus their hostel aid as well as a student-teacher. The cause of the fire is suspected to be an electrical fault,” reads part of the report.

The fire is said to have started from a storeroom that housed 11 bags of children’s tuck, 10 blankets, 6 mattresses, 20 mosquito nets, a television set, and 2 trunks with clothing.

The fire also damaged four trusses, 2 trunks 12 asbestos sheets, 9 window panes, 6 lengths of purr lines and 6 conduits.

Moyo also appealed to well wishers to assist in the refurbishment of the damaged hostel.

Contacted for comment, Matabeleland South Provincial Education Director, Lifias Masukume said he was yet to receive the report.

“I have just received a call from one of you (reporter) but personally as head of education, I don’t have that report in my office. So let me ask our District Schools Inspector to get hold of the school head,” said Masukume.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button