Bulawayo councillors are pushing for the approval of a high-end Luveve nightclub despite council officials warning that the development was built without approved plans, lacks an occupation certificate and has been operating in breach of an existing development permit.
The dispute has exposed growing tensions within Bulawayo City Council between efforts to attract investment and the enforcement of planning regulations.
The nightclub, owned by Captive Sales (Pvt) Ltd and popularly known as Ko Samuriwo, is located at the Old Luveve Commercial Centre, commonly known as Chigumira Shopping Centre.
The company approached council seeking preliminary planning permission for special consent to operate the facility as a nightclub.
On this topic
However, the Town Planning Department recommended that the application be rejected, citing multiple planning violations.
According to a July 3, 2026 report, council had issued Development Permit Number 297/2024 for Stand 8617 Luveve Township for a licensed restaurant.
The business is now operating across Stands 8616 and 8617, yet Stand 8616 does not have a development permit.
The department further noted that the premises had been constructed without approved building plans and that council had consequently not issued an occupation certificate.
“From a town planning perspective, the application was not supported since the applicant had failed to implement the development permit that was issued for a licensed restaurant ordinary,” the report stated.
“There had been gross violation of the conditions of the said development permit. Despite a number of notices served to the premises concerning the illegal operations, the applicant had failed to comply.”
The department also said it had received complaints from residents about noise from the premises.
Despite the concerns, councillors largely rejected the recommendation to refuse the application, arguing that the development represented the kind of investment Bulawayo needs to revive its struggling economy.
Ward 18 Councillor Felix Madzana described the facility as an “upmarket development” that could generate economic activity and potentially become a tourist attraction.
“This was an upmarket development in the city. The development idea was new in the city, in a high-density area. The development had also brought about a lot of economic activity in Luveve,” Madzana said.
Ward 11 Councillor Susan Sithole said the city needed more businesses capable of generating economic activity.
“Having such places in the city indicated development. The city’s economic activities were very low and this called on council to revive the city’s economy,” she said.
Ward 22 Councillor Mmeli Moyo argued that rejecting the application could undermine the city’s economic ambitions, saying the facility had already attracted recognition from the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority.
“The applicant had already built a high-end facility that was now recognised by the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority. Rejecting the application would set the city’s economic progress back,” he said.
Ward 2 Councillor Adrian Moyo called for council to make it easier for investors to do business in the city.
“The need of the ease of doing business. Applications in council should be easily processed and council opens up for more investment opportunities,” he said.
Councillor E. Ndlovu also backed the development but acknowledged that the applicant still needed to meet council requirements.
“This development should be supported as this would create more economic activities in the city. The applicant should comply and provide all the requirements as stated in the report,” Ndlovu said.
Deputy Chairperson Councillor Mxolisi Mahlangu said the investment represented a significant development for Luveve and Bulawayo.
“The applicant had placed a lot of investment. A state-of-the-art facility was produced. The facility was placing the city at a higher level of development,” Mahlangu said.
He argued that council should not allow bureaucracy to discourage investors and called for a site visit before a final decision was made.
“No investor would want to invest in the city with a lot of bureaucracy. High levels of bureaucracy deterred investment as complex regulations and administrative delays created costly barriers of businesses,” he said.
But council officials warned that supporting the development without addressing the violations could set a dangerous precedent.
The Legal Officer said council could not endorse construction carried out without approved building plans, warning that the absence of regulatory approval could pose risks to residents.
“Council’s standards should be adhered to. The construction was done without any approved plans. Council did not encourage this. This was posing a lot of danger to residents,” the Legal Officer said.
“The applicant should submit building plans forthwith.”
The Director of Town Planning similarly maintained that the department’s recommendation was based on the planning violations outlined in its report.
The company, meanwhile, argued that the nightclub would address a shortage of premium entertainment facilities in Bulawayo’s high-density suburbs.
“Bulawayo had a growing urban population with an increasing demand for premium, modern entertainment spaces,” the company said in its application.
“Despite the large population and growing demographic of young adults in Luveve and surrounding western areas, there was a significant shortage of designated, properly licensed, and upmarket evening entertainment venues.”
Captive Sales said the development would create jobs for bartenders, bouncers, DJs and cleaners while generating business for local suppliers, transport operators and other businesses.
It also proposed soundproofing, digital sound limiters and regular noise monitoring to address residents’ complaints.
The company pledged to enforce a no-under-18 policy, conduct identification checks and searches for illegal substances, and employ professional security personnel.
It also proposed working with residents’ associations, neighbourhood watch committees and the Zimbabwe Republic Police to address complaints.
Ward 15 Councillor Ashton Mhlanga proposed that councillors conduct a site visit before making a final decision.
The committee subsequently backed the site visit, with councillors arguing that the development could potentially serve as a benchmark for future investments.


Leave a Reply