Vic Falls council warns noisemakers

The Victoria Falls City Council has warned noise makers who play loud music in residential areas as they disturb other residents.

This follows complaints from residents about the amount of noise coming from nightclubs and some churches.

There has been a long-standing concern from residents about the council allocating space to churches and bars near houses in suburbs thereby exposing people to noise.

In a statement, Town Clerk Ronnie Dube said the council has by-laws that prohibit making noise.

He said the local authority has been inundated by complaints about noise.

“The city of Victoria Falls has been overwhelmed with complaints from various residents regarding noise within residential areas. Please note that in terms of the local authority by-laws no person should operate or cause or permit to be operated any wireless loud speaker, gramophone, amplifier, or similar instrument to the annoyance of the occupants or of any premises in the neighbourhood,” said Dube.

He said noisemakers should not disturb other residents and guests, mostly tourists.

“Members of the public are by way of this notice, advised to be considerate and not disturb or inconvenience other residents and guests,” Dube said.

While people are at liberty to play music, they are not permitted to use their private properties or to be loud in a way that interferes with neighbours’ peace.

The World Health Organisation stipulates that noise should not exceed 55 decibels during the day and should be less than 35db at night in residential areas.

Exceeding the noise standards set by WHO at both residential and industrial sites is considered a nuisance under the law of nuisance, categorized as private nuisance where a noisemaker interferes with one neighbour and public nuisance when the noise interferes with a number of people or the public at large.

In Zimbabwe, playing loud music is prohibited through Sections 79 to 81 of the Environmental Management Act (Chapter20:27) and fines for offenders range from level 1 to level 14 or imprisonment.

Section 81 of the EMA Act grants a temporary permit for an applicant to make noise emissions exceeding limits only after seeking authority.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button