The family of the late Paul Munakopa, who was shot by police and later died at a local hospital in Bulawayo where he had been admitted in May last year, is suing Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage Minister, Kazembe Kazembe, Police-Commissioner-General Godwin Matanga, and two police officers for causing his death.
The 34-year-old Munakopa was shot during a high-speed chase in Hillside suburb on 23 May 2020 in Bulawayo by police officers who were travelling in an unmarked vehicle.
Posting on their Twitter account Thursday, Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR), said Josphat Tshuma, of the same organisation who is representing the family, wants Kazembe, Matanga and the cops namely Digson Nyoni, Langton Makonye and two individuals Ross Johnson and Kyle Bennet to pay damages amounting to US$436 000 for loss of support to the Munakopa family including his minor children, emotional shock and trauma caused by witnessing his death
“In the summons filed recently at Bulawayo High Court, Tshuma representing the Munakopa family, said police officers acted negligently and caused the death of Munakopa by discharging firearms without due care and attention,” said ZLHR.
“Tshuma said police officers are liable for their conduct.”