The Ministry of Health and Child Care says there are laboratories in the country that are conducting Covid-19 testing without receiving approval or certification from relevant authorities.
Early this month, police arrested two men for selling fake negative Covid-19 test results to travellers at the country’s northern Chirundu border post, which is the gateway to neighbouring Zambia.
The suspects arrested on December 3, 2020 had in their possession more than 330 blank stamped certificates.
Any laboratory that wishes to carry out Covid-19 testing should apply to the Medical Laboratory and Clinical Scientist Council of Zimbabwe, said the health ministry and issued a warning that perpetrators would be arrested for contravening Part XVII, Section 99(1) of the Health Professions Act [Chapter 27:19].
“It has come to the attention of the Ministry Of Health and Child Care that there are laboratories carrying out Covid-19 testing without the prior requirement of assessment and certification.”
The health ministry advised members of the public that the only laboratories approved to carry out Covid-19 testing and publish results are those assessed and certified by the same ministry in collaboration with the Medical Laboratory and Clinical Scientists Council of Zimbabwe and the World Health Organisation.
Zimbabwean regulations require travellers to produce a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Covid-19 clearance certificate issued by a recognised health facility within 48 hours before leaving the country by road or air.
The PCR test costs about US$60 in Zimbabwe.
According to the health ministry, the list of assessed and certified medical laboratories for Covid-19 under private laboratories include
1. Lancet laboratories
2. PSMI Harare Branch
3. Cimas Harare laboratory
4. Diagnopath laboratory Harare
5. Klosad Laboratory Harare
6. Mater Dei Hospital Laboratory (DLS)
7. Multi Tech
8. Flow Cytometry
9. Haematology Centre
10. Bioexpress Laboartory
11. Genau Laboratory
12. Patholgy Laboratory
13. Unki Mine Laboratory
The government laboratories assessed and certified medical laboratories for Covid-19 are:
1. National Microbiology Reference Laboratories
2. National TB Reference Laboratory
3. Plumtree District Hospital
4. Gwanda Provincial Hospital
5. Beitbridge District Hospital
6. St Lukes Mission Hospital
7. Victoria Falls Hospital
8. Gutu Mission Hospital
9. Masvingo Provincial Hospital
10. Gweru Provincial Hospital
11. Chinhoyi Provincial Hospital
12. Kadoma General Hospital
13. Marondera Provincial Hospital
14. St Alberts Mission Hospital
15. Bindura Provincial Hospital
16. Rusape General Hospital
17. Mutare Provincial Hospital
18. Chipinge District Hospital
19. Sally Mugabe Central Hospital
20. Parirenyatwa Central Hospital
21. National Virology Reference Laboratory
22. Chitungwiza Central Hospital
23. Chikurubi Maximum Prison
24. Thorngrove Hospital Laboratory
25. Beatrice Road Infectiuos Diseases Hospital
26. Josiah Tongogara Magama
As for Research and Non-Governmental Organisations that conducted certified testing, these were:
1. Population Service International (PSI)
2. Biomedical Research and Training Institute (BRTI)
3. African Institute Of Biomedical Sciences and Technology (AIBST)
The authorised collection points authorised are Lancet and Genau.