Three family members die of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Three family members were found dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at their house in Zezani near Beitbridge town, on Sunday morning.

It is believed the family was using a charcoal brazier (imbawula) in their bedroom to warm themselves on Saturday evening and could have inhaled the dangerous gas.

They were discovered by their daughter on Sunday morning and she alerted their neighbours who made a report to the local police.

The remains of the trio were taken to Beitbridge District Hospital for post mortem.

While the names of the deceased were not immediately available, they were identified as the 44-year-old husband, 38-year-old wife and their two-year-old child.

Matabeleland South police spokesperson Chief Inspector Philisani Ndebele confirmed the incident.

“We received a sudden death involving three people in Zezani, the husband is aged 44, the wife is aged 38 and a two-year-old child, who died on Friday night and were discovered on Saturday morning,” said Chief Insp Ndebele.

Chief Inspector Ndebele added that investigations are underway to determine the cause of death.

“The family had lit a charcoal brazier and I am not sure from which tree the charcoal came from hence I cannot confirm whether it was carbon monoxide poisoning,” he told CITE.

“The post mortem is yet to ascertain what killed them so we will only know then.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button