Police in Bulawayo are investigating a sudden death case after a 15 year old girl from Nkulumane suburb was found dead on Tuesday night at her home on suspcion she may have been electrocuted.
She has been identified as Amahle Valencia Ncube a Form Three learner at Nkulumane High School.
Speaking to CITE, Ward 22 councillor, Rodney Jele said he was called to the scene yesterday.
“I was called to scene in a house in Nkulumane near Sekusile Hall on Tuesday evening where a form three girl was electrocuted.
“There is an electrical security system in her house so they forgot to switch it off during load shedding, so when electricity came back she was electrocuted,”said Cllr Jele.
Contacted for a comment, acting Bulawayo police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Nomalanga Msebele confirmed the incident saying police are still investigating the case.
“We are investigating the case of sudden death by electrocution. On the 4th of February 2020 at around half six in the evening the deceased was at her place of residence conducting some prayers with her other family members and some church members , there was no electricity,” said Inspector Msebele.
She said the family was having a prayer session in the verandah when the deceased went inside the house.
“Eletricity was restored at around 1900hours, at that time the informant followed the deceased and went to the bathroom to relieve herself and found the now deceased lying on the ground and unconscious.
“She tried closing the water from the tap which was running and she was shocked with electricity, the informant switched off the main switch and carried the now deceased outside,”said Inspector Msebele.
Assistant Inspector Msebele added:“Among the congregants there was a doctor who checked the girl and saw that the pulse was not responding, showing no signs of life.
“They proceeded to Nkulumane police station to make a report,Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority (ZESA) personel was contacted, they then proceeded to the scene, they found her dead then took her to United Bulawayo Hospitals (UBH).”