Murdered Hope Fountain man dumped in mine shaft

Three suspected illegal miners have been arrested for fatally shooting a 22-year-old man from Hope Fountain on the outskirts of Bulawayo and dumping his body down a mine shaft.

Bulawayo police spokesperson Inspector Abednico Ncube said the remains of the deceased who was identified as Descent Ngwenya were found in an advanced state of decomposition.

The suspects have been identified as Prince Ncube aged 36 of Happy Valley mine, Godknows Ncube, 30, of Hope Fountain, and Director Sibanda, 28, of Matshobana.

“The deceased was reported missing at Waterford police base in Hillside by his uncle. the report was also made at ZRP Hillside. It was later revealed that the deceased was last seen with the three suspects at the mine having an altercation. On the following day, further information was received by the police that one of the suspects fired a shot using a revolver toward the deceased. This led to the police revisiting the scene and apprehending the three suspects taking them to the Hillside police station,” said Inspector Ncube.

The body was discovered by some mine workers in a mine shaft and they notified the police.  

“Inspection on the body showed that the deceased had a gunshot wound from the back, on the left side of the chest but there was no front bullet exit,” said Inspector Ncube.

He said the body was taken to United Bulawayo Hospitals (UBH) for post-mortem and investigations are in progress.

“The three suspects are detained in different cells and they are helping police with investigations.”

Inspector Ncube said as police, they are getting worried with the increase in mine conflicts.

“We urge members of the public to resolve their differences amicably or involve the police and the ministry of mines whenever they have disputes. It is not necessary to lose lives as we are experiencing,” he said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button