Bulawayo’s Chief Fire Officer, Mhlangano Moyo, says the fire brigade has ruled out arson in the recent blaze that destroyed Fairy Cafe in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The fire reduced the food outlet to ashes.
Moyo said initial investigations showed the premises had been locked at both the front and rear entrances, and a security guard was on duty at the time.
“We have ruled out arson because the premises were secured and there was a security guard on site. When our team arrived, the building was locked at both the front and back. It was our fire brigade team that forced entry,” he said.
He added that firefighters managed to contain the blaze before it spread to other parts of the building.
“We were able to restrict the fire to the affected shop and prevent it from spreading to other sections of the building,” Mr Moyo said.
Investigations into the cause of the fire are continuing. However, preliminary findings suggest it may have started from an electrical source.
“Our initial assessment points to something that may have been left switched on, which then ignited the property. The fire was intensified by gas cylinders that were releasing gas,” he said.
Moyo said officials were also examining whether the building’s solar power system may have played a role.
“There were about 30 solar panels installed at the premises, and we are working to establish whether they had any impact on the incident,” he said.
Support CITE’s fearless, independent journalism. Your donation helps us amplify community voices, fight misinformation, and hold power to account. Help keep the truth alive. Donate today
