The Meteorological Service Department of Zimbabwe (MSD) has warned the public against attempting to cross flooded rivers and streams as authorities closely monitor Tropical Cyclone Gezani, which is active in the south-west Indian Ocean.

The warning comes amid growing concern over rain-related fatalities and damage recorded since the start of the 2025–26 rainy season.

In January, the Department of Civil Protection (DCP) said more than 70 people had died nationwide, while property worth over US$107 000 had been destroyed by floods and severe weather.

Authorities say they are alarmed by the circulation of videos on social media showing people attempting to cross flooded rivers, despite repeated safety advisories.

In a statement on Thursday, MSD Director Rebecca Manzou said Tropical Cyclone Gezani had weakened to a severe tropical storm but was expected to regain strength.

“As of this morning, Gezani has weakened to a Severe Tropical Storm but is expected to re-intensify as it moves west-southwest away from Madagascar,” she said.

“The system is projected to briefly approach the coast of Mozambique before turning southward into the southern Indian Ocean, where it is likely to dissipate.”

Manzou said the cyclone is not expected to enter Zimbabwe, but its indirect effects will be felt across the country.

“Currently, the system is drawing moisture away from Zimbabwe, contributing to dry conditions over the western areas. However, as the storm moves further south in the Mozambican Channel, a moisture band may form, bringing rainfall to Zimbabwe from 15 to 17 February 2026,” she said.

The MSD urged members of the public to avoid flooded crossings, secure loose outdoor structures and drive with caution, particularly in areas with poor drainage.

Farmers were advised to protect livestock, crops and equipment, while schools, event organisers and transport operators were told to prepare for possible disruptions.

“The MSD will continue to monitor the situation and issue timely updates,” Manzou said.

Elsewhere in the region, the storm has already caused devastation.

In Madagascar, at least 38 people were killed this week when the cyclone struck the country’s second-largest city, according to authorities.

Gezani is the second cyclone to hit Madagascar this year, coming just 10 days after Tropical Cyclone Fytia killed 14 people and displaced more than 31,000, according to the United Nations’ humanitarian office.

Neighbouring South Africa has also issued alerts, saying it is closely monitoring Gezani, although there is currently no direct threat to the country.

Support CITE’s fearless, independent journalism. Your donation helps us amplify community voices, fight misinformation, and hold power to account. Help keep the truth alive. Donate today

Senzeni Ncube is an accomplished journalist based in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, with seven years of experience in hard news, investigative writing, fact-checking, and a keen focus on social development, mining,...

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *